So, I’m thinkin’ about masks.
Thoughts for the morning…
1. The masks symbolize more than hypocrisy. They are the part of ourselves that we use to shield whatever we feel might be imperfect. Even Superman wears lead armor if he has to deal with Kryptonite.
2. Jekyll’s formula is meant as a “perfection potion.” It’s the potion that removes what the “mask” symbolizes.
3. I think anyone would experience some kind of change if they took the potion. As long as that’s possible, they’re wearing a mask.
4. One of the story’s messages is that we need masks to a certain degree. Good manners are masks, in a way. Not having one would be like chewing with your mouth open. A mask isn’t always a bad thing. Players in intense games keep the mask of the “game face” on as a rule. That first number might very well be sung from Hyde’s perspective.
5. What’s the longest-running musical in Broadway history?
6. There is a creepy thing that will happen with the masks and their strategic removal. Ask for details.